Tuesday, September 9, 2008

wheels of time

Roller skating was my thing.  There was one tedious season of Lassie League and then try-outs for volleyball, track and cheerleading (more times than was emotionally healthy!) before making peace with the fact that walking while chewing a stick of Wrigley's was probably going to be my athletic peak.  But for some odd reason, I could put on a clunky pair of roller skates, tighten them with the metal key and morph into Peggy Fleming.  And for all the hours spent figure-eighting in the driveway, and entire Saturdays circling the wooden floors of an ancient roller rink, I don't remember ever once so much as falling.  I honestly think I understand when athletes today talk about being 'in the zone.'  Sometimes I wish I could lace up and skate all the way back to age ten.  Gliding endlessly back and forth until twilight fell and mom called me in for dinner.  

3 comments:

Jane said...

Judy, Judy, Judy,
You are a beautiful writer and a wonderful friend. Congratulations on your blog. I look forward to keeping up in cyberspace.

Jane

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Hard to beleive what we had to go thru with those keys and metal wheels pre roller blades! Even more unbelievable how graceful we felt skating around that old oil stained carport on Neptune St. on those clackety things! At the time, I could have sworn we were the spitting image of Peggy Flemming (You) and Dorothy Hamill (Me)! Wow....I think I need to phone my therapist now.

Anonymous said...

I remember my legs vibrating for hours after prying my feet loose from the metal grips. The wonderful smell of the burning rubber almost catching my tennis shoe on fire from friction of metal on concrete. Those were the days my friend!
Sandy