Tuesday, April 7, 2009

a rite of Easter

The best holiday activities stand the test of time, which is how they become traditions.  Same with a wonderful book.  In The Egg Tree by Katherine Milhous, Katy discovers a treasure trove of hand painted eggs in the attic of her grandmother's Pennsylvania Dutch home, sparking memories and rekindling a beloved ritual. We made our first egg tree when I was ten and our New York cousins came to visit for Easter in Florida.  Maybe this Caldecott award-winning book is where mom, a teacher, got the fun, creative idea.  It even comes with instructions. Last week I noticed a gorgeous Easter tree on the cover of Martha Stewart Living while waiting in line at the grocery store.  It was almost as pretty as ours.

2 comments:

lt prof said...

This book IS where I got the idea for an Easter egg tree. I read the book to my 5th grade class and my students (children of the migrant workers from South America, Hati) made an egg tree for our classroom. It was beautiful. I had brought in the "blown" eggs, a small tree limb, from the backyard, and a flower pot filled with sand and away we went we our classroom creation! I came right home that afternoon and gatherd up the necessary items so my "home" children could make one for our family.

Snookie said...

Do you know Chicken Sunday by Patricia Polacco? She's one of our favorite authors. And this is a beautiful story that has a connection to Pysanky eggs. Check it out!