Tuesday, September 8, 2009

when life gives you lemons

How on earth would I be using the mammoth bag of lemons in the grocery basket, my husband wanted to know. As if a bowl of them gracing the table in a kitchen still life weren't reason enough. So I've marinated Tuscan chicken, spritzed salmon, zested salad dressing, made a tub of hummus that would cost a fortune at Dean & Deluca. And still, the citrus bowl overfloweth. This calls for the most lemony recipe in my arsenal, referred to simply as:

'When-Life-Gives-You-Lemons' Lemon Bars 

1 c. butter, softened
2   1/4 c. flour, divided
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp baking powder
4 eggs, beaten
2 c. sugar
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
zest of 2 lemons

Combine softened butter, 2 cups flour and 1/2 cup powdered sugar; blend until smooth. Pat dough into lightly greased 13x9x2 inch pan. Bake at 300 degrees for 30 minutes. Combine eggs, sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest; mix well. Add 1/4 cup flour, salt and baking powder; blend well. Pour over pastry. Bake at 300 degrees 30-40 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Freezes well.  
Sugar bowl and Lemon by Pierre-Auguste Renoir

1 comment:

neen said...

I agree...there's something about LEMONS...pretty in a bowl...pretty in a painting...pretty to smell...wonderful to use in cooking..think I'll buy a bag myself tomorrow...thanks...xoxoxo