Monday, September 7, 2009

working it out

Are you familiar with this acclaimed book from the 1970's? Working: People talk about what they do all day and how they feel about what they do. It's an oral history compiled by Chicago's legendary writer and radio man Studs Terkel. He interviewed hundreds of people from all walks of life, in all kinds of jobs. It's a fascinating Labor Day window on the complicated, often love/hate relationship we have with the daily grind. 

I once had a good position in a great college setting, but the boss was nicknamed 'Hitler's Niece' and every day was a fresh hell.  The minimum-wage gig at a newspaper was a dream-come-true, but we had to move when my husband graduated. I cherished a brief banking career because of my brilliant boss. The kids marvel that I worked at Wendy's during high school, babysat for 50 cents an hour, was the talking Christmas tree at a local department store. Then there have been these many years as an advertising writer.  Come to think of it, though, there are still a few hats I'd like to add to the many I've worn. Maybe the same is true for you. Labor Day is a perfect time to get to work on that. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good message today, Very Truly Julie, on how our work experiences (both the good and not so good) help us learn and grow as people. Thank you for your humility and good perspective on life and knowing what truly is important. Keep up the good work! You are appreciated and loved by many.

Mr. R

Cliff said...

Nice reference for Labor Day. Dang, I wish I would take the time to read a book every once in a while. Maybe if I keep checking out your blog I will get sufficiently inspired at some point.