Tuesday, March 16, 2010

a million ways

Tomorrow is going to be 'one of those days.' Everyone going in different directions at different times, no one home at the dinner hour. There will be a big pot of meatballs and sauce simmering on the stove in the afternoon instead, for whoever can eat, at whatever time. It struck me earlier this evening, as I stirred eggs and breadcrumbs into the meat and rolled it into little balls, that there are so many ways to say I love you. To show I love you. And the opportunity arises with just about every breath when you're a mother. I wish I had been more conscious of this when I started out 18 years ago, but motherhood is a learn-as-you-go experience. And often the best teachers are your children.
(Mother's Goodnight Kiss by Mary Cassatt, 1888)

2 comments:

Julie said...

I'm struck by your words and will carry them around with me all day today. Thanks for the small gift.

dolcebellezza said...

The best teachers are, so often our children. Both my own son, and the twenty-nine I teach every day. Yet the lessons can only be learned to those who are receptive to them, right? Maybe at 18 we thought we knew more than we do now.

I think meatballs and sauce are a great way to say I love you. I know my husband agrees. Blessings on your day, and all those around you.