Wednesday, June 2, 2010

the funny pages

Wasn't Erma the best? Her hilarious, poignant columns resonated with me even when I was a teenager and she was a nationally-syndicated newspaper columnist turning phrases like 'Seize the moment. Think of all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.' It wasn't until I had kids, though, that I truly understood all that she brought to the kitchen table. It was her battle cry to fully engage in each extraordinary ordinary day and to find the humor. Life can sometimes squeeze the laughter right out of a person, but don't you let it and neither will I. For a refresher course, the library is sure to have a copy of Motherhood: The Second Oldest Profession and a dozen other books by wonderful, irreplaceable Erma Bombeck.

1 comment:

phonelady said...

Oh I loved erma bombeck .I had the pleasure to hear her speak shortly before her death . My dad took me with him and grandma to hear her .