Monday, January 10, 2011

winter landscape

Six inches of snow and still falling. It's the kind of winter landscape that Ezra Jack Keats depicted so simply yet brilliantly in The Snowy Day, winner of the 1963 Caldecott Medal. Serendipitously, the 2011 Caldecott award was given out today, this time to illustrator Erin Stead for A Sick Day for Amos McGee, which I can't wait to read. There was a beautiful poem by Denise Levertov in my in-box on this snowy day and just now I came across these lines in New Year's Day, a poem by Valerie Worth: '. . . Time to consider the world afresh . . . to study the sober snow.' Today there is time to read, to study the art in a picture book, time to gaze out the window at the falling flakes or bundle up for a snowy walk. Maybe even make a snow angel.

1 comment:

My Little Bungalow said...

There is something so magical about snow, about how quiet and slow the world gets. It makes me feel like a child again.