Tuesday, March 15, 2011

close reading

While retrieving my coat at the end of a party the other night, I got waylaid while looking at the host's bookshelves. You can tell a lot about people by the books they read. It occurred to me recently that you can tell a lot about yourself by the books you've loved. For instance, there's a reason that I read The Cricket in Times Square fifteen times when I was a little girl. I just haven't figured it out yet! But there they are, three sets of five marks on the inside cover of my old paperback book, signifying each time I finished it again. I couldn't get enough of the story about Chester, the amazing musical cricket, and Mario, the little boy who makes a home for him in his family's newsstand. I loved Harry Cat and Tucker Mouse, too, and the whole New York City zeitgeist. Serendipitously, I now know that it was named a Newbery Honor book the year I was born. There was a sixteenth reading, spring of Ian's fourth grade year, when we sat on Dr. Mac's steps and read it together while waiting for the school bus in the morning. I'm thinking now that I will go for seventeen, this time reading it very closely, line by line - and between the lines - to more fully understand the story of me.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I am inspired to find a copy of this book and read it with my son, Max. A new tradition has begun...