Thursday, January 5, 2012

sustenance

One of the nicest things about winter is the urge to draw inward. To settle in with thoughts and dreams and let ideas sort themselves out. It's soul-satisfying to spend time with favorite artists and writers, studying their work under the heart's microscope. I am drawn to the collages of Romare Bearden and love learning about his early years here in Charlotte and his grown-up life in Harlem. I could read the words of Rumi, the 13th century Persian poet, a hundred times over and discover something new in them - or in myself - each time. Writing and knitting and reading are almost therapeutic in their nurturing effect. So is a good cup of tea, brewed just right and sipped from a cup and saucer.

2 comments:

Bellezza said...

There is something so theraputic about winter, staying home, doing quiet things. I think you hit the nail on the head about why it's my favorite season. One of my dear friends calls it 'nesting' which I think is quite appropriate, and I loved the connection I made to her term and your beautiful bird/nest photographs in this post. I loved reading this.

julie degni marr said...

Oh thank you, Bellezza! Nesting is exactly the right word. I've come to love January for just that. xo