Wednesday, July 18, 2012

full circle

Here's a question for when you're feeling stuck: is this what I dreamed about when I was eight years old? Did you flake out on a couch when you could have been outside catching tadpoles, capturing the flag, chasing fireflies? Did you spend hours stewing over the actions and attitudes of others or blithely go about your own darn business? Did you wait for happiness to find you or plot out every day like a joy safari? Sheesh . . . what the heck happens to us, people, as the years go by? And by us, I mean me. Luckily I have found there's no quicker way to snap out of a rutty day or situation or mindset than to think back to what worked so well then and apply it to now. My eight-year-old self loved Fruit Loops and hula hoops, Encyclopedia Brown mysteries, transistor radios and skating. She - and therefore I - liked filling pages with words and pictures. We wanted to be a detective or a newspaper writer. We loved playing 'school' and 'office,' we turned our closet into a reading nook and thought our family hung the moon. We couldn't wait to get up every day for a new adventure. Life was pretty darn sweet. Still is. We just needed to remember.
(image)

No comments: