Wednesday, July 25, 2012

cake days

The great thing about getting older, said Madeleine L'Engle, is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been. What a wonderful birthday thought. Today I turn fifty-one, but I'm also one and eight and seventeen and twenty-three, thirty-five, forty-two. A baby, a girl, a woman, a mother and now a middle-aged person who hopes to grow in wisdom and gratitude for the rest of her days. All of these ages, stages and facets combined are what makes me me. There's a term for blending them into a textured and richly layered whole - then living out of that - that I think is called integration. Whatever it is, it's all inside. And it's all good

3 comments:

Cathy Monetti said...

Happy birthday to you, my friend!!! I hope you have a glorious day, and an even glorious-er year ahead!

Julie said...

I'm just checking in after a few weeks and realize that I have missed your special day. I wish you a belated happy day and a year filled with health, wealth and the time to enjoy it! xxoo Julie

julie degni marr said...

Dear Cathy & Julie,
I'm dubbing this new year 'Fifty One-derful' and am determined to live into that! Thanks for the sweet wishes. xo