Thursday, February 14, 2013

love unlimited

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work, Thomas Edison said, and I wonder if something similar isn't true about love? For every red dress and diamond necklace, I give you a robe and slipper-clad figure schlepping out to warm up the car on a dark winter morning. For every chocolate-dipped strawberry and flute of champagne, I give you a casserole bubbling in the oven on a weary weeknight, a forgotten lunch dropped off at school, a corner booth at Jason's deli where two best friends can have a good cry and a good Reuben. Love says here's a book I knew you'd like and this song makes me think of you and I have two tickets, can you go? Love asks did you get your project done and have you made that follow-up appointment? It's dressed up as the dog that does backflips when you get home, a sweet text popping up, a crocus poking through, the sun peeking out. Love is many-splendored master of disguise. All you have to do is open your heart and you'll see it everywhere. 

No comments: