Thursday, June 13, 2013

Shelf life

You read about a gazillion books to win a tiny plastic monkey and a coupon for a free Wendy's Frosty. The library summer reading program ranks right up there with lemonade stands and homemade popsicles. It's totally awesome and I would sign up this very day except that the librarians card you and I've aged out. I have to create my own summer reading program now and so, probably, do you. But that's almost as fun. There needs to be at least one good mystery on the list, a couple of great novels (ranging from classic and contemporary), some non-fiction to feed your curiosity and a biography of someone particularly fascinating. I include piles of picture books and some YA selections (from the young adult section), some cool coffee table tomes on art and design, even a juicy cookbook or two. A library card is a fine thing any time of the year, but in the summer it's a ticket to wonderful.

No comments: