Thursday, July 11, 2013

bibliojoy

"The Wise County Bookmobile is one of the most beautiful sights in the world to me. When I see it lumbering down the mountain road like a tank, then turning wide and easing onto Shawnee Avenue, I flag it down like an old friend. I've waited on this corner every Friday since I can remember.  The Bookmobile is just a government truck, but to me it's a glittering royal coach delivering stories and knowledge and life itself." - from Big Stone Gap, page 1

My favorite novel is Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani. While reading it, I felt such a kindred connection to the author. I think it's been 10 summers now that there was a signing in town at The Little Professor Bookstore and I was crazy excited at the thought of meeting her. It felt like a full circle of wonderfulness that Italia wanted to go with me. She was 10 years old at the time, adorable as always in a two-piece white peasant outfit, jelly sandals, headband. I remember we took a vase of gardenias from the yard and had to sit out a torrential thunderstorm in the car before making a dash for it. Inside was everything and more. Adriana read from a wonderful new book Lucia, Lucia and told Italia all about her baby girl, Lucia, who should be about ten now. Then she inscribed our copy of Big Stone Gap. And we floated home.

2 comments:

Cathy Monetti said...

I've always loved the story of you and Italia taking the gardenias to Adri. I'm so happy to see the photo and to read her inscription.

Joy!

Lindy Ireland said...

Believe it or not, I came to your blog today hoping for a book recommendation! Voila - and thank you!