Saturday, March 29, 2014

unexpectation

My friend Jenny was critiquing a project recently and said, "This has a lot of power because it's unexpected." Wait, what? I'm baffled to admit that in all my years in advertising, while I may have at times backed into creating the unexpected, I've never consciously made a point to do so. I wonder if that's because I attached a negative connotation to the word unexpected. Linking it solely to bills and news and scary things happening out of the blue. When, in reality, the unexpected most often shows up in a wonderful way for me. Probably for you, too. Like turning a corner and seeing a favorite masterpiece chalk-drawn on the street. I'm going to start mentally cataloguing unexpected delight and be more intentional about purveying it. Expect an update soon.

No comments: