Friday, May 9, 2014

a true fan

Sometimes a short conversation or even a passing comment can open up a Grand Canyon of meaning. I treasure when that happens, even when the words are ones that hang around as a lump in the throat. Yesterday afternoon I finally took a few big bins of Lego's (separate from the ones I put in the attic) to the Goodwill drop-off. The huge metal trailer sits in an asphalt parking lot behind the mall (oh, the irony!) where it had to be 98 degrees. The sweetest young guy helped me out and I asked if he had plenty to drink or wanted a snack since I had just come from the grocery store. "No thank you, I brought lots to drink," he said. "And they give us fans!" He was happier and more grateful for that fan than I've been about anything in a while. I cried all the way home.  

No comments: