Tuesday, August 5, 2014

la dolce vita

At an old Italian villa ensconced in bougainvillea,
a door opens. On the other side is the rest of your life.
From the balcony, picture postcard Positano. 
Hibiscus everywhere. And who knew the sea could be 
so many beautiful shades of blue?
Love is in the air. In the people and in the food, too. Amore
There is always a place to pause for prayer. 
Farmers here are artists, our guide said. 
The mountaintop town of Ravello takes your breath away. 
So does the nearby island of Capri. Pablo Neruda wrote a love note to it. 
The lemons are as big as mangoes and bloom three times a year. 
I did not want to say arrivederci to the Amalfi Coast. 
But the eternal city beckoned.
I just love this old place.
A double dip of dolce at every turn.
Sweet serendipity was coming upon the home of St. Ignatius.
Finding God in all things is his legacy. 
A midnight Vatican visit capped off Roma. Then, homa.
Thankfully, I brought it all back in my heart. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course you did. Your heart is so Italian. Everything about you is so Italian. Beautiful beautiful pictures. Welcome back.

My Little Bungalow said...

Lovely. I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip to Italy. I was there as a 16-year-old, so many years ago, but I still remember it so clearly. Capri, Pompeii, Rome, Florence, Assisi. It's a beautiful country. You've made me want to return there soon.
Claudia

Michele Kingery said...

Very nice!